The name Honda City is not new to us as it has been ruling the Indian Roads and the Sedan Segment for almost two decades now.
History of Honda City in India
Honda City was launched in the Indian Automobile Market in 1998 and it changes the market forever. It was offered in two engine options i.e, 1.3 litres and 1.5 litre. As soon as it was launched Honda City became the favourite for families as well as enthusiasts.
After tremendous success in 1998, the second-gen of Honda City was launched in 2003. It became popular as the “Dolphin” because of its shape. The City had shed the straight lines to become more rounded and offered a flowing design. The design did not become very popular among the enthusiasts but the mass market loved it. It was launched with a 1.5-litre i-DSI engine that generates a maximum of 77 Bhp. So while the first-gen model offered thrills, the second-gen model offered ease of driving, comfort levels and high fuel economy. In 2003, Honda also launched its first-ever automatic CVT in the segment with the introduction of a CVT gearbox.
In 2008, five years after the launch of the second-generation Honda City, the all-new third-generation City was launched. It again completely changed the way the City looked and got updated with intimidating looks. Honda City shed the bulgy design and the third-generation City came with sportier looks, especially because of the multiple slat grille in the front. It also offered larger headlamps and deep creases on the body that made it look very premium. The rear also received larger lamps that made it look exclusive on the roads.
The all-new 1.5-litre i-VTEC engine available with the car came as the biggest highlight. It became more powerful to produce a maximum of 117 Bhp and continued to be offered with an optional automatic.
Honda introduced sunroof with this model for the first time with third-generation City. Honda also made the airbags and ABS standard across all the variants of Honda City with the new model.
The fourth generation of the Honda City is the current version of the car that is for sale in the market right now but only for a few weeks more. It came with a long list of updates but most importantly, the fourth-generation Honda City marked the entry of the diesel engine option for the first time.
The all-new Honda City was introduced in the Indian market before any other market in the world showing how important the vehicle became for the Indian market. It became much more spacious and came with a longer list of features too. The rear seat remains the best in business and the City continues to be a hit in the corporate world.
The all-new Honda City will be launched in the Indian market later this year. It will offer more space and will come with a longer list of features too. The all-new Honda City looks sharper than ever and it is also expected to get the mild-hybrid technology. The price of the new Honda City is not expected to go up by a lot and it will bring back the vehicle to take on the likes of Hyundai Verna.
Here are some FAQs asked about Honda City
1. What is the price of Honda City?
Honda City price in India starts from ₹11 16 206* (ex-showroom Delhi).
2. What is the mileage of Honda City?
The mileage offered by the 1.5L i-VTEC petrol engine in Honda City is 18.4 km/l* in the 7-Speed CVT and 17.8 km/l* in 6-speed MT. Whereas, the 1.5L i-DTEC, gives a mileage of 24.1 km/l* in MT.
3. What colours are available in Honda City?
- Radiant Red Metallic
- Platinum White Pearl
- Modern Steel Metallic
- Golden Brown Metallic
- Lunar Silver Metallic
4. What is the boot space of Honda City?
The boot space of the Honda City is 506 litres.
5. What are the safety features offered in Honda City?
- 1st in Segment^ LanewatchTM Camera (Uniquely Mounted for Damage Protection)
- 1st in Segment^ 6 Airbags System (Dual Front I-SRS^ Airbags, Front Seats I-side Airbags & Side Curtain Airbags)
- 1st in Segment^ Agile Handling Assist
- Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA)
- Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (Deflation Warning System)
- 4 Rear Parking Sensors
- Emergency Stop Signal (ESS)
- Hill Start Assist (HSA)
- Multi-Angle Rear Camera
- Auto Headlamps with Auto-Off Timer, Follow-Me-Home & Lead-Me-To-Car Functions
- All Seats Head Restraints with 3-point ELR Seatbelts
- Auto-Dimming Interior Mirror
- All Power Windows Auto up/down with Pinch Guard
- ABS with EBD
- ACETM Body Structure
- Variable Intermittent Wiper
- Rear ISOFIX Anchorages & Tether
- Immobilizer with Anti-Theft Alarm
6. Is Honda City is available in Diesel Engine?
Yes, Honda City is available in diesel version.
7. Is Honda City available in CNG?
No, it is not available in CNG.
8. In which transmission is Honda City available?
1.5L DOHC i-VTEC in Honda City is available in 7-speed CVT and 6-speed MT. Whereas, the 1.5L i-DTEC is available in MT.
9. Is Honda City available through the Canteen?
Honda City is registered with (CSD) Canteen Stores Department.
10. What is the fuel tank capacity of Honda City?
The fuel capacity of Honda City is 40 litres.
11. What are the Engine Specifications of Honda City?
Honda City offers Water Cooled Inline 4 Cylinder i-VTEC DOHC with VTC and Water Cooled Inline 4 Cylinder i-DTEC DOHC.
12. What is the interior of Honda City?
Achieving a clear vision while driving, with a balance of openness and security. This is the ‘SO-KAI’ or ‘Invigorating’ cockpit design in the Honda City. Another theme, the ‘Dynamic View’ concept, has structured the design of the instrumental panel for the driver to easily grasp the vehicle sensation with lesser anxiety-causing factors. In the upholstery, premium leather seats and hand-crafted tailoring provides a sense of opulence and luxury, giving the Honda City a feel that far exceeds its class.
13. Is Honda City available on Automatic Transmission?
Yes, Honda City is available in automatic transmission (CVT) in petrol variant.
14. What is the weight of Honda City?
The Kerb Weight for Honda City 1 107 – 1 153 kg for Petrol & 1 191 – 1 217 kg for Diesel